Our Week in Review 9.16

It has been another busy week in first grade. We continue to learn and practice our daily routines.

Reading: We continue to work on building our reading stamina. Our goal is to be able to read for 20 minutes. Ask your child how long we can currently read for. We have also been working on identifying characters in a story we read.

Math: We are busy working on place value. We have been working on using tallies and grouping numbers into groups of tens.

Writing: We have been writing about the characters we have been reading about during reading time.

Technology: This week we also started learning on how to use our classroom iPads. We are all looking forward to using them for different projects and learning activities.

Announcement: Some very observant first graders this week figured out that I’m expecting my first child. She is to arrive in January.

Open House: I’m looking forward to seeing you and your child at our open house next week. I have included Dr. Stocker’s note that went out earlier in the week about open house just incase you didn’t see it.

Open House-September 22, 6-7:30

We have made a major change to our Curriculum Night and are now going to provide an Open House on September 22.  Previously, our Curriculum Night was for parents/guardians only.  We received feedback that it was difficult for some families to attend, it was difficult if you had more than two children, and that it was difficult to talk with staff.

This year, our goal is to provide more opportunities to interact and engage with staff, to allow students to “guide” parents/guardians through their classrooms and specialists, and to increase family participation.  Curriculum materials will be available and shared.

We will meet in the Gym at 6 pm, where I’ll share some information and introduce our staff before you and your family visit the classrooms and specialists.  We look forward to seeing you next Thursday evening.

Volunteers: I’m looking for 2 to 3 volunteers to walk with us on September 28th in the morning for the Tolt Dam evacuation drill. If you can help please let me know. My volunteer signup sheet for regular classroom volunteering will go home next week during open house or Friday if you are unable to attend open house.

Dates to Remember:

September 22:

• Open House 6:00-7:30 starting in the gym

September 28:

• Tolt Dam Evacuation Drill

October 6:

Picture Day for grades Preschool, Kindergarten and First

Have a great weekend!

Erika Dix